ALA and Core are committed to dismantling racism and white supremacy. Along with the ALA Executive Board, we endorse the Black Caucus of the American Library Association (BCALA)’s May 28 statement condemning the brutal murder of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis Police Department officers. In their statement, BCALA cites Floyd’s death as “the latest in a long line of recent and historical violence against Black people in the United States.” Not only does Core support the sentiments of BCALA, we vow to align our values regarding equity, diversity, and inclusion with those of BCALA and other organizations that represent marginalized communities within ALA.
We also stand strong with the Asian/Pacific American community, which has been the target of xenophobia and racism in the wake of the outbreak of COVID-19, and support the Asian/Pacific American Librarians Association (APALA) and their statement that, “There is no excuse for discriminatory sentiments and actions towards Asians and Asian/Pacific Americans. APALA rejects coronavirus-related hostility, anti-Asian stereotypes, and racism against Asians, Asian/Pacific Americans, or anyone perceived to be Asian.”
Together we will have conversations to determine how we can build anti-racist structures in Core from the outset. We want to build the foundation together so we can get it right and make it meaningful. We can’t provide a detailed plan or schedule yet because we need to involve everyone in our community, provide true engagement, and recognize those who are already doing this work.
While we take steps toward building this foundation, we encourage our members to follow and support the work of ALA’s Office for Diversity, Literacy, and Outreach Services.
- Jennifer Bowen, ALCTS President
- Christopher Cronin, ALCTS President-Elect
- Tyler Dzuba, LLAMA President-Elect
- Lynn Hoffman, LLAMA Past President
- Bohyun Kim, LITA Past President
- Anne Moore, LLAMA President
- Emily Morton-Owens, LITA President
- Kristin Martin, ALCTS Past President
- Evviva Weinraub Lajoie, LITA President-Elect
- Thomas Ferren, ALCTS Program Officer
- Brooke Morris-Chott, ALCTS Communications Program Officer
- Jenny Levine, LITA Executive Director
- Julie Reese, ALCTS Deputy Director
- Fred Reuland, LLAMA Continuing Education & Communications Program Officer
- Chrishelle Thomas, LITA Marketing & Membership Manager
- Kerry Ward, ALCTS Interim Director, LLAMA Executive Director
- Alana Warren, ALCTS Continuing Education Assistant